10 Easy Ways to Improve Your Health
1. Exercise or get your heart rate up (with physical activity like fast walking, dancing, even sex if it is the active kind) for at least 20 minutes a day. The good news is that the 20 minutes need not be consecutive. Most likely you are conscious for at least 15 hours per day, I’m sure you can string together 20 minutes to move.
2. Make sure you get at least 25 grams of fiber per day by eating fiber rich foods like salads, nuts, bran, berries, beans, pears, prunes, vegetables. However, do NOT blend or drink your fruit and veggies – this destroys the fiber. Actually skip juices all together, they are no good for you.
3. Get off your butt and limit your time sitting. Seated for long durations causes a whole host of health concerns. And while you are standing practice good posture, it just might give you more energy and make you happier, really.
5. Floss every day and brush too. The bacteria lodged in between your teeth can cause inflammation and/or blood clots and prime you for a whole host of diseases. Besides, who wants to kiss someone with gnarly decaying teeth?
7. Eat at least 1 fermented food daily in order to keep your microbiome healthy. The bacteria in your gut changes all the time and eating fermented foods will ensure the good bacteria stay robust. Some fermented foods: Pickles, kimchi, sauerkraut, yogurt, sour cream, beer, anything pickled. And for most people, one glass of wine per day will do the trick.
8. Don’t take vitamins and supplements (unless told otherwise by your doc). In randomized trials, most show no benefit, and some actually increase mortality. Save your money and buy real whole foods.
9. Smile. Fake it until you make it…the physical act of smiling can trick your brain into releasing pain-killing, brain-happy endorphins, and serotonin. Try it, smile for 30 seconds and see how you feel.
10. Write down 3 things that went well or you are grateful for every day (preferably before you go to bed). This simple act of jotting a few things down has been linked to better sleep, improved health, and greater feelings of life satisfaction. Don’t tell me you can’t think of anything – you live in America.
Bonus: Get 7-9 hours of sleep daily. Keep a consistent sleep schedule and avoid caffeine or alcohol before bed. Lack of sleep is linked to an unfathomable amount of bad consequences. Get your zzz’s.
*This list could go on and on but I believe this is a good place to start.